Overseas citizenship of India (OCI) scheme
1. Persons of Indian origin (PIOs) of certain category who migrated from India and acquired citizenship of a foreign country other than Pakistan and Bangladesh, are eligible for grant of OCI as long as their home countries allow dual citizenship in some form or the other under their local laws.
2. Persons registered as Overseas Citizen of India will not have voting rights, cannot eligible for election to Lok Sabha/Rajya Sabha/Legislative Assembly/Council, hold constitutional posts such as President, Vice-President, Judge of Supreme Court/High Court etc. OCI card holders shall be entitled to the following benefits:
1. Multiple entry, multi-purpose life-long visa to visit India;
2. Exemption from reporting to police authorities for any length of stay in India; and
3. Parity with NRIs in financial, economic and educational fields except in the acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties
4. OCI card holder is eligible to apply for grant of Indian citizenship under Section 5(1)(g) of the Citizenship Act, 1955 if he/she has been registered as OCI for five years and has been residing in India for one year, out of the five years before making the application.
5. Application for OCI card can be made at any Indian Mission/Post in the prescribed form.
6. The application fee is US $275 for each applicant. In case of holders of PIO card, the fee is US $25. In case of rejection of the applicants request for OCI card an amount of US $250 shall be refunded.
7. For more details about the OCI Scheme, the website www.mha.nic.in may be visited.
For online OCI registration, applicants can directly visit the website https://passport.gov.in/ocI
If the passport of OCI holder on which ‘U’ visa is affixed expires, the OCI holder has to apply online for getting a new ‘U’ visa pasted on the new passport along with new registration booklet. The OCI application for Miscellaneous Services needs to be submitted to the Embassy along with a fee of Yen 3750.
For online OCI Miscellaneous Service registration, applicants can directly visit the website at https://passport.gov.in/oci
Fee for OCI services are as under:
Type of Service
Fee in Japanese Yen
Fresh OCI Card
OCI Card in case of PIO card holder (Adult)
OCI Card in case of PIO card holder (Minor up to 18 years)
Re-issuance of OCI card
Duplicate OCI card in case of loss/damage of OCI documents
The fee has to be paid in cash in Japanese Yen only. In addition to the above fee, an amount of Japanese Yen 200 will be charged towards ICWF.
The entire process takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks.
For more information on OCI and procedures for application please check here
The following documents would be required for collection of the OCI card:
1. Current valid passport of the applicant.
2. Cancelled Indian Passport / Cancellation certificate issued by Indian Mission/Post/Ministry of External Affairs
3. P I O card, if applied on the basis of PIO card.
4. Original fee payment receipt of submission of application .
The documents would be accepted on any working day between 0900-1100 hours and would be returned on the date of delivery given by the officer between 1600-1700 hours.
Submission of Applications for PIO Service at the Embassy:
1000-1200 hrs on all working days
ELIGIBILITY FOR PIO CARD
Every person of Indian origin who is a citizen of another Country, NOT being a citizen of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or any other country specified by Government of India, will be eligible for PIO Card if :-
He/she at any time, held an Indian Passport; or
He/she or either of his/her parents or grand-parents or great grand-parents was born in and permanently resident in India, provided further that neither was at any time a citizen of any of the aforesaid excluded countries; or
He/she is a spouse of a citizen of India or a Person of Indian Origin as mentioned above.
NOTE : Stateless persons holding identity/travel documents are not eligible.
BENEFITS OF A PIO CARD
The following benefits accrue to the holder of a PIO Card :
1) A multiple entry, multi-purpose visa for visiting India. PIO Card itself is treated as Visa.
No separate "Student Visa" or "Employment Visa" required for admissions in Colleges/ Institutions or for doing business etc. in India.
2) A PIO Card holder will be exempted from the requirement of registration with local police authorities if his/her stay on any single visit in India does not exceed 180 days.
3) Parity with non-resident Indians in respect of facilities available to the latter in economic, financial and educational fields, except for acquisition of agricultural land or plantations.
4) PIO Card can be used as identity proof for applying for PAN Card/ driving licenses as also for opening Bank account in India, if PIO Card holder resides in India.
5) Special counters at designated immigration check posts for speedy clearance.
- In the event of continuous stay in India of the PIO Card holder exceeding 180 days, he/she shall have to get himself/herself registered within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Officer/ Foreign Registration Officer.
- Grant of PIO Card does not entitle holder to visit restricted/protected areas or to undertake missionary work/mountaineering/research, without prior permission from Government of India.
RULES REGARDING PIO CARD
1) A PIO Card shall be valid for a period of fifteen years from the date of issue subject to the validity of the passport of the applicant.
2) PIO Cards issued earlier for US $ 1,000 will continue to remain valid and no refund shall be admissible. However, the validity of such cards shall be extendable by 10 more years without charging any fee.
3) On a request, supported by FIR lodged in the concerned Police Station and other documents, a duplicate PIO Card shall be issued on depositing a fee of Yen 15,000. Duplicate PIO Cards will be issued by the same office that issued the original one.
1) The fee for PIO Card would be Yen 44000*, payable along with the application.
2) PIO Card to children up to the age of 18 years will be issued at a fee of Yen 22100* for a fifteen years card.
* Includes Service charge of Yen 200 per application.
Generally issued in 14 working days
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED (Two sets)
1) Application Form duly filled in
2) Photocopy of Passport (submit original Passport for verification)
3) Photocopy of Resident Card/Alien Registration Card
4) Four photographs of size 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm in white background
5) Proof of country of origin
6) If applying on basis of spouse, photocopy of Marriage Certificate and its English translation (submit original Marriage Certificate for verification). Name of spouse should be included in the Indian Passport
7) Photocopy of Birth Certificate and its English translation (submit original Birth Certificate for verification)
8) Nationality proof of parents of applicant like copy of passport or any Government issued Identification Card stating nationality
In addition, any one or more of the following documents will be required to establish your Indian Origin or link to Person of Indian Origin
- Photocopy of Passport of parents/grand-parents/great grand-parents (submit original Passport for verification)
- Proof of relationship with parents/grand-parents/great grand-parents (submit original evidence for verification)
- Photocopy of documents in case there has been a change in Name/Surname alongwith its English translation
- - Photocopy of previous Indian passport (submit original Passport for verification)
- Photocopy of House Registration Certificate (or any other secondary proof) and its English translation (submit original - House Registration Certificate /or any other secondary proof for verification)
A written/typed letter requesting for PIO Card, amplifying or clarifying any other aspect of Indian origin, based on documents submitted.
- If applying on basis of OCI Card holder, photocopy of OCI Card and proof of relationship (submit original OCI Card and proof of relationship)
NOTE : Indian Passport of applicant/spouse/parents/grand-parents/great grand-parents is primary documentary proof of Indian origin. In case where this is not available, secondary proof (such as House Registration/Domicile Certificate/Revenue records/Education Certificate/foreign country passport
Where to apply for the PIO Card?
* Download PIO Application Form
* Applications should be made to an Indian Mission in the country where the applicant ordinarily resides.
* Applicants already in India on Long Term Visa (visa with more than one year validity) should make the application for issue of a PIO Card to the following authorities
DELHI: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
Hans Bhawan, I.P. Estate,
New Delhi 110 002.
Tel: 91-11-331 9489 Fax: 91-11-375 5183
MUMBAI: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
Annexe II, Commissioner of Police, Crawford Market,
Tel: 91-22-262 1169 Fax: 91-22-262 0721
CALCUTTA: Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
237, Acharya J.C. Bose Road, Calcutta 700020
Tel: 91-33-247 3301 Fax: 91-33-247 0549
CHENNAI: Chief Immigration Officer,
Bureau of Immigration, ShastriBhavanAnnexe,
No. 26, Haddows Road, Chennai 600006
Tel: 91-44-827 7036 Fax: 91-44-827 7036
Those residing in the rest of India:
Joint Secretary (Foreigners), Ministry of Home Affairs,
1st Floor, LokNayakBhawan, Khan Market,
New Delhi 110 003
Tel: 91-11-469 3334 Fax: 91-11-462 1563
What is the validity of the PIO Card?
15 years subject to the validity of the passport.
Note: The PIO Card will be valid only when accompanied with a valid passport.
The nationality proof like copy of Indian Passport, Identity Proof like Election I/Card or Aadhar Card/ Driving License etc. ofthe applicant’s parents, grandparents and or great grandparents need to be submitted for verification while submitting the applications for OCI and PIO.
For downloading the PIO application form, please click here.
- In the event of continuous stay in India of the PIO Card holder exceeding 180 days, he/she shall have to get himself/herself registered within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Officer / Foreign Registration Officer.
- Grant of PIO Card does not entitle holder to visit restricted / protected areas or to undertake missionary work / mountaineering / research, without prior permission from the Government of India.